The Pentagon acknowledged that more than 600 American service members did alert military medical staff they had been exposed to chemical weapons while serving in Iraq. The military admits it failed to track the cases, or offer treatment to the troops.
The news comes after US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered an internal review of Pentagon records, which have now uncovered hundreds of troops who told the military they believed they were exposed to chemical weapons.
Oh look, another shiny object -> More Than 600 Reported Chemical Exposure in Iraq, Pentagon Acknowledges http://nyti.ms/1E9iK17
A spokesman for the Army surgeon general told The New York Times on Thursday that the review showed 629 people answered “yes” to the question of chemical exposure, and also filled in a block with details about the chemical agent they were exposed to. The Army spokesman said each person would have received a medical consultation at the end of their combat tour.
Once the records were submitted, the military failed to take any further steps with the soldiers for more than a decade. The Pentagon did not compile data, monitor veterans with medical complaints, or circulate warnings to other soldiers and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Despite the men and women receiving wounds in action, the soldiers were not awarded Purple Hearts – one of the oldest and most sacred military awards.