A 4.0M earthquake struck Wyoming near midnight local time, going into the early AM , May 16, 2013.
May 16, 2013
Within 3 miles of the earthquake epicenter is a large google earth placemarked Phosphate mine.
The depth of the earthquake is at what I call “fracking depth”… normally the depth we see most of the OK, AR, CO earthquakes, at the drilling / pumping operations.
- 2013-05-16 05:23:52 UTC
- 2013-05-15 23:23:52 UTC-06:00 at epicenter
- 2013-05-16 00:23:52 UTC-05:00 system time
42.779°N 111.136°W depth=5.0km (3.1mi)
- 17km (11mi) WNW of Afton, Wyoming
- 102km (63mi) SE of Ammon, Idaho
- 105km (65mi) SE of Idaho Falls, Idaho
- 107km (66mi) E of Pocatello, Idaho
- 232km (144mi) NNE of Salt Lake City, Utah
We have seen “mine” earthquakes before, in the near term past — a sign of building pressure upon the craton.. showing at weak spots in the crust before the greater movement occurs (within weeks to a few months at the most).
I base the weeks/months time frame for larger movement, based upon PAST similar occurrences in 2011, and 2012.