Child poisoned by ingesting liquid nicotine

A 4 year old child becomes the 25th in the past year to overdose on nicotine in the state of Oklahoma alone

By Staff Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK (INTELLIHUB) — A 4 year old child was rushed to the hospital after ingesting his mothers liquid nicotine.  His mother, Ren Gaulrapp said that he vomited all day and then suffered painful withdrawal symptoms.

“We hear a little noise, come in and he has taken the lid off of all of them and has this liquid everywhere,” she said. “He’s got it all over him. He`s been eating it. The liquid itself is very sweet. There`s not really anything in it in the lower nicotine levels that are going to discourage a child from wanting to play in them.”

Jerry Hance at Flavor Vapor North says the higher the nicotine level, the more dangerous the liquid.

“There’s hundreds of poisons in every household,” he said. “Nicotine since it’s came about, whether it’s in a cigarette or in a pipe, no matter what it is, it is a poison.”

“It’s not a matter of if a child will be seriously poisoned or killed,” said Lee Cantrell, director of the San Diego division of the California Poison Control System and a professor of pharmacy at the University of California, San Francisco. “It’s a matter of when.”

It is important for parents to be conscious of where they leave their liquid nicotine, because the bright colors and sweet tastes attracts children. There have been 25 cases of nicotine poisoning in Oklahoma alone this past year.