Ultra-high levels of radiation have been detected and may still be spewing into the air as crews try to prevent the further spread of radioactive particles
CARLSBAD, N.M. (INTELLIHUB) — Astonishingly, a U.S. government operated facility which haphazardly dumps weapons grade plutonium and other radioactive waste into a one-thousand foot deep naturally formed salt mine, has suffered a “radiological event” of some type.
“[…] it’s safe to say we’ve never seen a level like we are seeing. We just don’t know if it’s a real event, but it looks like one”, said a Dept. of Energy spokesman.
At this time the extent to which the radioactive particles have been dispersed into the environment and just how far outside the facility the radioactive plume has spread is unknown.
As of now officials are claiming there is no danger, but as proven in Japan with the Fukushima nuclear disaster, we know that governments simply aren’t trustworthy and their rhetoric should be taken with a grain of salt.
In fact, other agencies like the U.S. Dept. of Energy (DOE) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) can’t be trusted either and this can be proven by their previous track records. Needless to say, in one instance the EPA told New York City residents that the air was “safe to breathe” shortly after the World Trade Center was demolished from the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. Following the attacks high levels of cancer were detected in first responders to the event and local residents who were lied to by the EPA, cutting their lifespans short. Need I waste more ink continuing?
Air samples were taken around the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) after a monitoring system detected traces of radiation on the underground levels of the facility around 11:30 pm Friday night, the US Department of Energy said in a news release.
The 139 workers above ground at the time of the incident were ordered Saturday to remain where they were as a precaution. None of the employees tested positive for radioactive contamination, and all non-essential personnel were released, Department of Energy spokesman Roger Nelson said.
Nelson said the cause of the leak remains a mystery, since inspection crews have not yet gone underground. He added that he was not sure when that would happen.
Surface samples show no sign of radiation, thus suggesting the leak was “not significant,” he said.
Now I don’t know about you, but if I were one of those 139 workers who were ordered to “shelter in place”, I would be freaked out.
Interestingly, suspicion has also been raised that this “radiological event” may have been previously ongoing and actually covered up by officials as a “truck fire” prompted an evacuation of the underground facility just 10-days prior.
Intellihub News will continue to monitor and update you on the situation. Keep checking back for updates. If you are in the area, remain vigilant.
(Photo: Public Domain)
Shepard Ambellas is the founder and editor-in-chief of Intellihub News and the maker of SHADE the Motion Picture. You can also find him on Twitter and Facebook. Shepard also appears on the Travel Channel series America Declassified.
For media inquires, interviews, questions or suggestions for this author, email: email@example.com or telephone: (347) 759-6075.
Visit Shepard’s blog here.